Staff at the City of Houston Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM) work to protect the city from disasters while also developing plans to respond correctly and efficiently when they do occur. With emergency management job titles such as Emergency Management Coordinator, Emergency Management Administration Specialist, Senior Geographic Information Systems Analyst and Mitigation Planner, the Houston OEM works together as a team to prepare for, respond to, recover from and mitigate the impact of disasters.
One way they have done this is by developing the AlertHouston system, used by the OEM, fire and police agencies to alert Houston residents of emergencies that may affect the entire city of Houston. Houston’s OEM has also prepared a variety of documents available online for residents to refer to, including the city’s emergency management plan, how to create a disaster supply kit, and a pre-evacuation checklist.
Training in Emergency Management in Houston
The Emergency Management Association of Texas offers Certified Texas Emergency Manager training for professionals in Houston who are already working in the field of emergency management. In order to qualify for this training, one must have at least four years of full-time emergency management work experience, working in Texas for at least two of those years. However, if one has a bachelor’s degree in a field related to emergency management, only two years of experience in Texas is required to enter into Certified Texas Emergency Manager training.
It seems, then, that obtaining a bachelor’s degree or higher in emergency management or a related field is the first step in training for those who wish to enter into the field of emergency management in Houston. Many related educational programs may be found in the Houston area and online, such as:
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Emergency Administration and Planning
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Science in Security Studies
Private Sector Emergency Management Employers in Houston
Opportunities for careers in emergency management in Houston are available through a variety of sources. Although many emergency management-related government organizations have offices in the Houston area and employ persons in emergency management jobs, companies in the private sector also work with these agencies and often offer jobs. Options in the Houston area include:
- ABS Consulting – a management consulting, administration and disaster preparedness company in Houston with four government clients. Emergency management jobs here could carry titles like Junior Risk Analyst, Process Hazard Analysis Leader and Process Safety Management Engineer.
- BMC Software – a technical intelligence and intelligence analysis company in Houston with two government clients. Emergency management jobs here could include Executive Administrator, Technology Solutions Specialist and Consultant.
- COMSYS – an operations, law enforcement and personnel company in Houston with five government clients. Emergency management opportunities here might carry titles such as Senior Program Professional.
- INX, Inc. – a counter-drug operations and information technology company in Houston with four government clients. Emergency management jobs here could include Project Manager and Consulting Principal.
- MEI Technologies, Inc. – a weapons technology, operations and technical intelligence company in Houston with three government clients. Emergency management jobs here could carry titles like Program Control Manager, Safety Engineer and Systems Engineer.