Until 1972, the city of Dallas Office of Emergency Management was a civil defense office focused on planning for a nuclear attack against the city and county of Dallas. During the latter half of the 1970s, the office’s focus became on all possible emergency hazards that could impact the city. What began as the Dallas Office of Civil Defense became the Dallas Office of Emergency Preparedness in the late 1970’s.
Today, the Dallas Office of Emergency Management retains that focus, concentrating resources on daily emergencies like hazardous materials, severe weather, plane crashes, and fires. It still plans for larger, more catastrophic emergencies that could occur in the city, however. A prime focus of the Dallas Office of Emergency Management is on preparing for, responding to, mitigating, and recovering from disasters. Those holding emergency management careers in Dallas work closely with other government agencies, the local media, and the public to accomplish the office’s goals.
Options for Emergency Management Training in Dallas
Professionals who already hold emergency management jobs in Dallas may be eligible or Certified Texas Emergency Manager training, provide by the Emergency Management Association of Texas. To qualify, one must hold a bachelor’s degree and have a minimum of 24 months of experience working in emergency management in Texas.
For students who do not yet hold emergency management jobs in Dallas but would like to, there are many options for training in emergency management. Certification or a degree is usually necessary to obtain an emergency management job. There are many options for such training in Dallas and online, with programs including:
- Graduate certificate in Homeland Security
- Associate of applied science in Criminal Justice
- Master of science in Emergency Management
- Bachelor of applied arts and science in Emergency Management Administration
- Bachelor of science in Emergency Management
Emergency Management Career Possibilities in Dallas
Although some might think only of government agencies and organizations when it comes to emergency management career options in Dallas, in actuality there are many more possibilities open to those holding the proper credentials. Many companies in the private sector work with government organizations and agencies and offer emergency management career opportunities. Possibilities for emergency management careers in Dallas could include:
- Global Events and Services, LLC – This privately held management consulting and administration company established in 1995 has one government client. Emergency management career possibilities at this location could include Management Analyst and Management Consultant.
- Paradigm Solutions – Established in 1995, this technical intelligence, law enforcement, information technology and border control company has seven government clients. Possible emergency management careers here could include Process Manager, Information Technology Analyst and Project Manager.
- Sage IT, Inc. – This information technology company in Frisco, Texas (about 25 miles from Dallas) was established in 2003 and has one government client today. Emergency management careers at Sage IT, Inc. could include Systems Analyst and Network Administrator.
- P2 Solutions, LLC – This staffing and personnel company in Frisco established in 2002 has one government client. Emergency management jobs here could include Program Manager, Internet Specialist and Analyst.
- CraftLogic Software – This information technology company in Frisco was established in 2001 and has one government client as of 2013. Emergency management careers at this company could include Automation Test Engineer and Microsoft Dynamics Administrator.