Salt Lake City, Utah is run by the Salt Lake City Corporation, which is responsible for community and economic development of the city, planning, and administration of most city departments. The Salt Lake City Emergency Management Department works in conjunction with the Salt Lake City Corporation to plan, prepare for, prevent, mitigate and respond to emergencies and potential emergencies occurring in the city.
The Department offers Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training for interested citizens in conjunction with the Salt Lake City Fire Department. CERT training is one way that Salt Lake City residents can become involved in emergency management in their community. Topics covered in CERT training include disaster simulation, disaster psychology, team organization, light search and rescue operations, disaster medical operations, disaster fire suppression, and disaster preparedness. These organizations and many others may offer career opportunities in emergency management in the Salt Lake City area.
<!- mfunc search_btn -><!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Emergency Management Training in Salt Lake City
For Salt Lake City citizens who are not yet in emergency management careers but wish to be, the fastest track is to obtain a certificate or degree in emergency management or a closely related field. Educational opportunities in emergency management are available in Salt Lake City and online, including:
- Bachelor of Science in Emergency Services Administration – Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Public Emergency Services Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
Training is available through the Utah Department of Public Safety Department of Emergency Management (DEM) for those who already hold emergency management jobs in Salt Lake City, Utah. Courses that are offered in Salt Lake City for these professionals are listed on the DEM Training website, with titles including:
- Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) workshop
- Communications Interoperability
- Rapid Needs Assessment
- EOC Operations and Planning for All Hazards
- Enhanced Threat and Risk Assessment
Emergency Management Employers Located in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City, Utah offers plentiful opportunities for those who wish to pursue emergency management careers .Whether at the government level or within private industry, if an applicant receives the proper training there are emergency management jobs available in Salt Lake City. Possible venues for such jobs include:
- Salt Lake City Emergency Management – Potential emergency management jobs available at this government-run organization, which is a part of the Salt Lake City Corporation, include Information Specialist and Program Manager
- Coda Octopus Colmek – Established in 1977 in Salt Lake City, this company specializes in training for naval and ground force operations, and in 2013 has four government clients. Potential emergency management jobs at Coda Octopus Colmek could include Satellite Internet Specialist and Mine Neutralization Specialist.
- SOS Staffing – This personnel and staffing company established in Salt Lake City in 1973 has one government client as of 2013. Potential emergency management jobs here include UI Designer/Developer and Management Consultant.
- Salt Lake City District of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) – potential emergency management jobs here include Protective Security Advisor
- Salt Lake City Field Office of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) – potential emergency management jobs here include Import Specialist and Customs Inspector
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office – Potential emergency management jobs here include Investigator and Detective