The Essex, Vermont Police Department carries emergency management responsibilities for the town. Essex is the largest metropolitan area in Vermont, with 140,000 residents, sitting in the northwestern part of the state. The Northeastern Vermont Development Association (NVDA) also provides emergency management services to the town, helping it to develop a Rapid Response Plan (RRP) detailing steps to be followed when responding to a disaster.
The Essex Police Department provides many programs on Community and School Safety for the public. These are designed to create a dialogue among community members and to improve planning, preparedness and response to emergencies (natural and man-made) that may occur in the city of Essex.
Getting An Education in Emergency Management
Essex citizens who are not yet involved in careers in emergency management but would like to be should pursue education in emergency management in Essex. In the area and online, the following certification and degree programs are available:
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Terrorism, Mediation and Peace
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Associate of Business Administration in Criminal Justice Administration
In Vermont, the Vermont Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security provide emergency management training. This training is primarily for those who are already involved in careers in emergency management in Essex and other cities in Vermont. Training for concerned Essex citizens is provided through Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training.
Careers in Emergency Management in Essex
Essex offers many opportunities for those who hold the proper educational qualifications and are interested in beginning careers in emergency management. These careers may be within government agencies or organizations, or within private companies that contract with or do business for such agencies. In Essex, opportunities for employment in emergency management could be available within:
- Essex Police Department – where emergency management job titles could include Public Information Officer, School Resource Officer and Emergency Management Coordinator
- Chittenden Central Supervisory Union – where emergency management jobs titles could include Coordinator and Program Supervisor
- Vermont Adjutant General’s Office in Colchester (four miles from Essex) – potential emergency management jobs here could include FEMA Liaison and Emergency Management Officer
- Vermont Army National Guard in Colchester – possible jobs in emergency management here could carry titles such as Readiness Officer and Survey Team Leader
- St. Albans Office of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) (about 30 miles from Essex) – potential emergency management jobs here could include Customs Enforcement Officer and Import Specialist
- Vermont Department of Public Safety in Pittsford (50 miles from Essex) – possible emergency management jobs here could include Homeland Security Program Planner, Mitigation Specialist, Radiological Emergency Response Planner and Emergency Management Coordinator