In August 2013, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) awarded the city of Sioux Falls, South Dakota with $4.9 million to assist them in reimbursement for cleaning up debris left over from an ice storm in April. The City of Sioux Falls Emergency Management Department will likely benefit from some of this award, as it is their job to prepare for, plan for and respond to emergencies in the Sioux Falls area. Such emergencies include, but are not limited to severe weather; sewer and sump pump backups, water recovery; and family, community and business emergency planning.
The City of Sioux Falls Emergency Management Department works with other city, state and federal agencies to keep the citizens of Sioux Falls safe. They include the City of Sioux Falls Professional Standards and Emergency Medical Services division, responsible for training EMS workers; the City of Sioux Falls Administration Division, responsible for support and service; and the City of Sioux Falls Fire Prevention Division, which presents fire prevention activities and programs across the city. Emergency management careers in Sioux Falls, South Dakota could be available at these local agencies, as well as within state and federal agencies and private businesses that work in the field of emergency management.
Emergency Management Training in Sioux Falls
Emergency management training is available to those who are already involved in the field of emergency management in Sioux Falls through the South Dakota Department of Public Safety Emergency Management Training Program. An Independent Study program is also available through FEMA that is designed for both the general public and those whose jobs require emergency management responsibilities. The South Dakota Emergency Management Association also provides certification for emergency managers (CEM) who work in emergency management statewide.
For Sioux Falls residents who are not yet in an emergency management career but desire one, certificates and degrees are available in the area and online at the undergraduate and graduate levels. They include:
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Emergency Management
- Master of Science in Emergency Management
Emergency Management Employers in Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls emergency management careers and jobs may be found within government agencies and within private industry working with the government. They include:
- City of Sioux Falls Emergency Management – job titles here could include urban planner, emergency manager, GIS analyst, GIS specialist and information technology manager
- Sioux Falls Joint Terrorism Task Force of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) – job titles here could include emergency coordinator and intelligence analyst
- Department of the Interior, Sioux Falls- job titles here could include supervisory IT specialist and IT consultant
- Agri-Energy, LLC in Sioux Falls – job titles here could include environmental, health and safety manager