Montgomery, Alabama’s capital city, is situated on the Alabama River in the Gulf Coastal Plains. The city has seen its share of disastrous weather, especially severe thunderstorms which have the potential to spawn lightening strikes, fires, hail, flash floods and tornadoes. Between 1950 and 2010, Montgomery experienced 1,192 severe thunderstorms, 647 hailstorms, 149 floods, 71 tornadoes, 66 incidents of extreme heat and one hurricane.
<!- mfunc search_btn -><!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Emergency Management Career Requirements in Montgomery
Emergency Management Coordinator is the entry-level position with the Montgomery Emergency Management Agency. The job involves the following duties:
- Implementing, evaluating and upgrading emergency management operations
- Assisting in designing and writing grant applications
- Performing miscellaneous technical and administrative functions
- Acting as a liaison with federal, state and local agencies
- Completing hazard vulnerability assessments
- Managing emergency resources
- Conducting C.E.R.T. training
- Teaching civic and business leaders about disaster preparedness/safety measures
Qualifications for job of Emergency Management Coordinator:
- Associates degree in emergency management or public administration
- Minimum one year administrative support experience, preferably in emergency management
- Willingness to be on call 24-hours a day
- Valid Alabama driver’s license
- Must complete C.E.R.T. training within one year of hire
- Must live within 30 minutes of emergency operations center
- Knowledge of principles/practices of emergency management, federal/state funding procedures, emergency communications systems, community resources and hazard identification methods
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Able to maintain composure under stress
Duties of the Emergency Management Director include:
- Planning, developing, coordinating and implementing a large city emergency management department
- Supervising a staff of more than 20 employees
- Administering multi-million dollar grants
- Administering the city emergency operations center
Qualifications for the position of Emergency Management Director include all those listed for EM Coordinator, as well as:
- Bachelor’s degree or better in emergency management or a related field
- Three years+ emergency management experience, two in a supervisory position
- Advanced Emergency Management Certification from the State of Alabama
- Emergency Management Coordinator – $30,469 to $43,402
- Emergency Management Director – $65,318 to $92,982
How to Apply for an Emergency Management Job in Montgomery, AL
Look for job openings at http://sigma.montgomeryal.gov/. Click on available job listings for application instructions. If the desired job is not listed, click on “interest cards” and submit required information.
Managing Emergencies and Disasters in Montgomery
The Montgomery Emergency Management Agency handles most disasters in the city without federal or state assistance. The focus is on planning as well as identifying and analyzing hazards in order to prevent or lessen the impact of natural or manmade disasters. Functions of the Montgomery Emergency Management Agency include:
- Coordinating the citywide response to an emergency/disaster.
- Implementing the W.A.R.N. notification system that allows citizens to receive weather warnings and other pertinent information via e-mail or text message.
- Educating businesses and the public about disaster preparedness.
- Training citizen volunteers for the Citizen Corps, which involves activities designed to keep communities safe, and the Civilian Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.) which supports first responders during an emergency or disaster.
- Working to bring about a complete recovery after a disaster.